Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It´s MY RIGHT!

You never know what is going to happen when you get on a bus in Ecuador... here is my most recent story from my trip to Tena with my sister...
When Janna and I got on the bus, we got stuck in almost the very back... right next to the bathroom GROSS! Anyway, we had window control (very important since Ecuadorians always like to shut all the windows and kill you with lack of ventilation!) so that made life better. Janna opened up the window and it was wonderful until we started going and then it got freezing cold. So I told her to shut it a bit... and she accidentally slammed it all the way. Then she had to heeve and ho (how do you spell that!?) to get it open, but then it was ALL the way open again. By this point we were laughing so hard that she was having a hard time shutting it. This went on several more times before we got it to be normal. With all the laughing I realized I had to go to the bathroom. I pulled on the door and thankfully it wasn't locked, but as I stepped into the bathroom I realized the door wouldn't really shut... so I had to go to the bathroom while holding the door shut. This was not a problem until I had to pull up my pants... that was quite a feet. Anyway, once I got out of the bathroom and sat down, I realized that the bathroom door would swing open every time we turned a corner... open and shut... open and shut. I noticed a nasty napkin on the floor that I figured it must have been holding the door shut so I wedged it between the door and the frame, which seemed to sufice. Not 5 minutes later another foreigner decided, since I went to the bathroom, she could as well and down went the napkin. As she left, she didn't have a care in the world that the bathroom door started opening and slamming shut. So again, I picked up the napkin... anyway, this whole ordeal went on for a good 30 minutes and several passagers later.
Then all the sudden a family comes on the bus and there are no seats... so she decides to sit on my armrest... which we all know means that she was IN my seat. I almost asked her for the $3 (half of my seat) since she was taking up at least half of it... if not more! But I decided to be gracious and not say anything. Needless, 30 minutes passed and then she sat on the floor with her head in her hands. If you don´t know what this position means, you haven´t been with me when I have to stand up on the bus. She was getting sick.
I have to interrupt my story for a moment to tell you of another bus story on the way home from San Lucas a couple of weeks ago. I had this exact situation where I decided, even though it was culturally inappropriate, to sit on the floor or else the woman in front of me was going to have throw up down the back of her neck. A woman to my right tapped me on my shoulder and told me to take her seat. I tried to refuse, but she insisted that she would sit with her daughters. What I didn´t realize at the moment is that her daughters were two full frown women.
As I sat in my comfy chair on the way to Tena, the Lord told me to give up my seat. I said no. I said it was my seat and I paid for it... it was my right. And Jesus told me... you have no rights... you are who you are and where you are because of me. So reluctantly, I handed over my seat and sat in Janna's lap for the next hour and a half. Jesus pours out his grace on me every day... its time for me to give up my rights for his glory.

No comments: